Beating the odds

Unfortunately, in the education system students with special needs are often overlooked. Most students are not given the proper chance because the odds are against them


Growing up, I loved school. I had a great group of friends, and I always received good grades. School was smooth sailing from elementary to middle school. When I started high school is when the battle began. My high school was not handicap accessible at all. My high school was 80 years old, had three levels, an elevator that only worked half the time, and no access to the gym. My freshman year in high school was one of the hardest years of my  life. As if freshman year is not hard enough already for young girls, I went from a school where it was completely accessible to a school where I was afraid to use the elevator because I didn't know if it would work that particular day or not. I hated gym class because their first solution to the gym not being accessible was to put a portable ramp down and have me drive my  power chair down the ramp. In high school I would often have to have my teachers move classrooms so I could attend class, and I was once called out in front of class because of it. My entire freshmen year I did not go to the bathroom at school because there wasn't an accessible bathroom available.  Most of the students with disabilities in high school often decided to drop out to get home schooled. Even thought I thought I wanted to be home schooled at the time, I am thankful my parents made me keep going to school. In 2014, I was the first special needs student to graduate with honors.

Today, I am currently a senior at Indiana tech pursuing a bachelors degree in fashion marketing and management, and I am the current recipient  of the Runway of Dreams Scholarship. The Runway of Dreams Scholarship is designed for special needs pursuing fashion. This scholarship will allow me to help others in the fashion world feel beautiful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What it is like living with a body that doesn't cooperate

Changing the fashion industry one step at a time